Unlock this lesson and gain full access to all sections.
God's Part & Our Part“If therefore, you are not faithful in the use of worldly wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you” (Luke 16:11).
1. Money is a primary competitor with Christ for the lordship of our life. “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other . . . you cannot serve God and
. (Matthew 6:24).
Scripture tells us how to earn, give, save, spend, invest, get out of debt, and teach children about money. In short, Bible addresses every area of handling money.
2. The way most people operate a business is so
from God’s way. “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord” (Isaiah 55:8, NIV).
3. The Lord owns everything in the world, including our possessions. “To the Lord your God belong . . . the earth and
in it” (Deuteronomy 10:14, NIV).
4. If we are going to be genuine followers of Christ, we must transfer the
of our possessions to the Lord. Jesus said, “No one can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions” (Luke 14:33).
5. The first step in learning
is recognizing God is the owner of all your possessions.
6. As we acknowledge God’s ownership, we no longer ask, “Lord, what do You want me to do with my money?” The question becomes, “Lord, what do You want me to do with
money?” When we have this perspective, spending and saving decisions are equally as spiritual as giving decisions.
7. Our responsibility is summed up in 1 Corinthians 4:2: “It is required in stewards that one be found
8. He who is faithful in a very
hing is faithful also in much” (Luke 16:10)
Compass Money MapThe Compass Money Map is easy to follow, and works for everyone, regardless of your financial situation. You may not reach the final destination, but you can make progress. And I have great news for you: Each destination along the way brings you greater financial freedom and stability.The Compass Money Map answers two big financial questions: where am I financially, and what do I do next?
Download the Compass Money Map
9. Once you know where you are on the map, the next step is to focus on accomplishing the
destination you haven’t completely finished.
Poor, Rich or FaithfulJoseph is an example of a faithful person who experienced prosperity and poverty.
The Bible doesn’t teach that godly people must be poor. Nor does it promise them to always be rich. The Bible says we’re to be faithful stewards of our possessions whether we have a lot or a little.The Deed & Personal Financial StatementIn the Dig Deeper Section, to help you recognize God’s owner-ship of possessions, you can complete a deed transferring the ownership to Him. This deed is solely for your use.You can also complete a Personal Financial Statement to get a picture of your current financial situation.
After each session, there are optional items you may complete to help you learn how to handle your finances God’s way. There is a scripture to memorize, questions to answer, and another step to take on better understanding how to make progress on the Compass Money Map.
Scripture to Memorize“The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains” (Psalm 24:1).
Questions to Answer
To help recognize God’s ownership of possessions, we will transfer the ownership of our possessions to Him. We will use a Deed, because one is often used to trans-fer property. This deed is not legally binding. By completing the Deed, you will establish a time when you acknowledge God’s ownership.
Here are the directions to complete it.
1. Insert today’s date at the top of the Deed. Then print your name in the space after “From,” because you are transferring ownership of your possessions
2. There is a large blank space following the sentence, “I (we) transfer to the Lord the ownership of the following possessions.” Please pray about the possessions you wish to acknowledge that God owns, and write them in the space.3. In the lower right hand corner there are two blank lines under the heading “Stewards”. This is the space for your signature. If you are married, both you and your spouse should sign. In the lower left-hand corner there are two blank lines for the signatures of witnesses.
Download the Deed
Remember to save the Practical Applications to your computer or device before entering data.
THE PERSONAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT
the Personal Financial Statement on the next page to get a picture of
your current financial situation. This is the first step in getting a
grasp on your finances. It’s not necessary to be precise to the penny;
rather, estimate the value of each asset and the amount of each
liability. We recommend that you revise your Personal Financial
Statement once a year to keep abreast of your progress.
Download the Personal Financial Statement Worksheet